Will your fire plan work if the mains water stops running?

02 January 2020

Wannon Water is reminding customers to be prepared with an alternative source of water in the event of bushfires and power outages this summer. 

Branch Manager Operations Wayne Murdoch said bushfires and power outages can affect the water supply and customers should not rely on town water as part of their fire plans.

“While we have comprehensive measures in place to maintain drinking water supplies wherever possible, it is important for customers to be prepared with another source of water if town water becomes limited or unavailable," Mr Murdoch said.

“Excessively high levels of water consumption and any damage to the water supply system during a severe fire event will mean the town water supply is operating under extreme load.

“Road closures may prevent our staff from entering a bushfire zone to get to our infrastructure, which in turn may prevent us maintaining normal drinking water pressure, water quality or an uninterrupted supply to every household.”

Mr Murdoch said it is important that everybody sets aside drinking water during extreme hot weather and fire danger days. 

The Country Fire Authority says that if you are confident, capable and prepared to actively defend your property, you should have the following resources and equipment as a minimum:

  • 10,000 litres of water 
  • A firefighting pump that is protected from radiant heat and not reliant on mains power supply
  • Firefighting hoses that reach all the way around your home
  • Personal protective clothing.

Wannon Water has a Bushfire Plan that outlines what preparations need to be taken on days of severe and extreme fire danger. An Incident Control Centre is established on Code Red days to prepare for any issues and coordinate an immediate response if necessary.

“Being prepared is key to reducing risk when severe weather events are predicted,” Mr Murdoch said.

Further information on bushfires and your water supply is available at wannonwater.com.au. For emergency information and warnings, visit the emergency.vic.gov.au and for information on fire safety visit cfa.vic.gov.au