Customer support and assistance

At different times throughout our lives our needs change, which can sometimes result in financial difficulty. In recognition of this, we've developed a number of programs to assist customers. Our Customer Service Team has been specially trained to support customers in times of financial difficulty.

We're here to help

Coronavirus Covid 19 Website Carousel Graphic Financial Hardship 01

We understand this may be a tough time financially for customers and we’re here to help.

We offer a range of assistance options and can tailor an option to suit your individual needs.

We can help in the following ways:

  • View our customer support and assistance programs below for more information.
  • Request a payment extension of up to two weeks through our online customer portal, myWannonWater.
  • For payment extensions of longer than two weeks, please email us at with your account number and reason for a payment extension. 

If you are unable to submit your request online or by email, please call us on 1300 926 666. Our specially trained customer service team will support you though the process. 

Due to current circumstances our phone lines might be busier than normal. If we are unable to answer your call, please leave a detailed message and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Back to top

Our customer team

Our Customer Services Team all live in South West Victoria and work from Warrnambool, Hamilton and Portland. They understand our region and the challenges our customers can face. They all adhere to strict privacy and confidentiality requirements.

Our Customer Services Team have an extensive understanding of hardship issues, including training on the following:

  • Government funded concession schemes
  • Our programs that support customers in financial difficulty
  • Support and assistance available to customers experiencing family violence
  • Our Customer Experience Hardship Policy
  • Our legal responsibilities including the Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) and the Essential Services Commission's Customer Service Code requirements for hardship customers, and
  • Circumstances of customers experiencing financial hardship.

Back to top

Customer Support Policy

Customer Assistance Options 140 200 Mm

We have a Customer Support Policy, which outlines our approach to supporting our customers in times of financial difficulty.

With an individual case management approach, we ensure that each customer's needs are addressed sensitively, respectfully and confidentially.

If you wish to nominate a support person or other representative to communicate with us on your behalf, contact us and we'll record their details on your account. Your nominated support person or other representative can be changed or removed at any time simply by contacting us.

We understand that customers cannot always afford the minimum payment amounts required to manage their account. When a customer experiencing hardship contacts us, we will inform them of the support available to their situation. Some of these options include payment extensions and negotiating arrangements based on what customers can reasonably afford to pay. Once support and arrangements are in place, these customers are shielded from restriction of their water supply and further recovery action.

Customers experiencing financial hardship are invited to contact us to discuss their situation.

You can find more information in the links below:

Back to top

Financial Assistance Procedure

The Financial Assistance Procedure is designed to provide incentives to residential customers that continually meet their payments. After customers make a set number of payments, we will credit the customer's account to the value of one payment. If the customer continues to meet their arrangement over a period of time, we will review the account and adjust the balance where appropriate. Please contact us to obtain further information on eligibility criteria.

Back to top

Government assistance schemes

For those customers who meet the criteria, Wannon Water has information on various Government Assistance Schemes including the Utility Relief Grant Scheme which provides assistance to customers who are unable to pay their water account due to a temporary financial crisis.

Back to top

Pensions & concessions

Customers may hold a valid Pension or Concession Card and have not claimed a rebate on their water bill. This is often overlooked and contributes to a larger account than necessary. We will grant a rebate as soon as we're aware and assist with claiming retrospective rebates which will reduce the outstanding account. Customers should contact us to discuss Pension and Concession entitlements.

Back to top

Financial counselling

We can quickly refer customers to an independent financial counsellor at no cost to the customer. Financial counsellors are able to provide detailed information on your rights and the options available to you. Customers can discuss with the financial counsellor any financial matters that may be causing difficulty or distress. If you would like a referral, please contact us.

Back to top

Family violence

Family violence is a serious and widespread issue that affects an individual’s health and wellbeing and ultimately the whole community.

Our vision to go ‘beyond water for strong communities’ recognises our role in the broader health and wellbeing and economic prosperity of people in our region. As an essential service provider, we actively work to support customers experiencing family violence, with the safety of our customers being paramount.

We have a Family Violence Procedure that outlines the support available to all customers who may be experiencing family violence. The procedure acknowledges that customers may or may not choose to directly disclose their current or previous experience of family violence. It also acknowledges that some customers might provide indications that family violence may be occurring during interactions with our staff, particularly in relation to bill payment.

Customers are encouraged to contact us so that we can outline the support available to customers experiencing family violence, regardless of their current financial capacity. Furthermore, we seek to create a supportive environment where customers are comfortable in requesting assistance for family violence related concerns and are aware of the support available to them.

Details of assistance and referrals available to customers can be accessed via the support services phone numbers.

Back to top

Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria)

If you're not satisfied with the way in which we've handled your situation you are able to request that your matter be referred to a higher level within Wannon Water for review. If you remain dissatisfied with the way your matter is handled or you are not satisfied with the outcome, you are able to refer the matter to the Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) via the details below:

Freecall:   1800 500 509 (mobile rates apply)
Freefax:   1800 500 549 
Mail:  Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) Ltd 
  GPO Box 469D 
  Melbourne VIC 3001 

Back to top