What is sewage?

Sewage is what enters the sewerage system from household bathrooms, toilets, kitchens, laundries and drains, or from businesses and industry. It is approximately 99.6% water. The remaining 0.4% mostly comprises biodegradable pollutants and small solid particles.

Larger commercial and industrial customers are required to treat their sewage (known as trade waste) to agreed quality standards and may be required to install pre-treatment equipment (e.g. grease traps) before discharging to the sewer.

Pollutants that can not be adequately removed during the sewage treatment process (e.g. cotton buds, nappies, paints, oils, veggie scraps, Band Aids, pills, sanitary pads, etc) should not be discharged to the sewer, as they can cause damage to the equipment.

Those who treat their sinks and toilets as garbage disposals add to the strain on a sewage treatment plant, making the treatment process more difficult and costly for all customers.