How does it work?

Eligible concession card holders get a 50 per cent deduction on water and sewerage charges.

The Victorian Government offers a variety of concessions and benefits to eligible cardholders to assist low-income Victorians with their water and sewerage bills.

To get a water and sewerage concession on your bill, you need one of these cards:

  • Centrelink Health Care Card
  • Centrelink Pensioner Concession Card
  • Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card

The address on the card must match the address on the bill.

What you’ll need

To apply for a water and sewerage concession, you need to provide:

  • Concession card type and number
  • Wannon Water account number
  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Service address
  • Telephone number.

You can find the service address and account number on your water bill.

If you did not claim a concession when you became a concession card holder, contact us. You may be eligible for retrospective credit for up to 12 months.


  • The service address must be the applicant’s principal place of residence.
  • The name and address on the concession card must match the name and service address on the water bill.
  • If you’re using a Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card, the service address on the water bill must match the address that’s registered with the Department of Veteran Affairs.
  • If the address does not match, contact Services Australia or Department of Veteran Affairs to change the address before you apply.
  • When you apply for a concession, you authorise us to continue to confirm your eligibility with Services Australia or Department of Veteran Affairs.

What happens next?

When you apply online, we’ll process your application within 1–2 business days. We’ll contact you if we need any more information.

When you call us or visit a Customer Service Centre, we’ll process your application immediately.

Apply now

You can apply for a water and sewerage concession online, or by calling 1300 926 666, or in person at one of our offices.

Other concessions